Do I Have A Parasite? – 3 Signs to Watch Out For!

Do I Have A Parasite?

Do I Have A Parasite? – 3 Signs to Watch Out For!

Do I Have a Parasite?

You might visit a physician to determine if you have a parasite infection. A physician will want to know your symptoms to help her/him understand if you have parasites. Firstly, a physician will need to be able to recognize a parasitic infection, then know what tests to run and how to treat an infection. There are numerous types of parasites that can infect humans, including:

  • Ectoparasites – live on the outside of your body
  • Helminths – parasitical worms that enter your body with contaminated food or drink.
  •  Protozoa – small single-celled organisms that cause diseases

Within each of these types of parasites, there are several subgroups that have
specialized features. Researchers have identified thousands of different types of parasites worldwide. Approximately 70 percent of these parasites can live in several regions of the body, including the eyes, internal organs or inside the brain. The other 30 percent of parasites primarily live in your digestive system. Parasites must have a host, and some parasites that infest humans will also live in animals, birds or insects.

 

Sign 1: What Are the Signs I Have a Parasite On My Body or Scalp?

There are different symptoms from parasitic infections, depending on the type of parasite and where it is located on your body. If a parasite is on the outside of your body, then it is easier to notice it. Lice are one of the most common types of ectoparasites, and this parasite can infest the hair on your head or other locations on your body. However, the lice that live off of the scalp are different from the type that feeds off the hair or other parts of the body. When you have head lice, the skin on your scalp will itch intensely from the parasites’ saliva, and you may notice red bumps on your head or neck. Head lice infestations are common in schools because students may touch their heads and exchange skin contact accidentally. Body lice are primarily
transferred from intimate skin contact, and the symptoms from this parasite are similar to the ones from head lice.

 

Sign 2: Do I Have a Parasite In My Digestive System?

The parasites that infest the body’s digestive system will cause unpleasant symptoms that include:

  • Chronic fatigue
  • Stomach pain
  • Frequent diarrhea
  • Intestinal gas
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Segments of worms in your stool
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Itchy rectum

You can get intestinal parasites from drinking contaminated water or eating undercooked meat. Parasitical worms, eggs or larvae can also live in soil or on dishes and eating utensils. A large percentage of the population will have a digestive system parasitical infection at least once during their lifetime.

Sign 3: What Are the Signs I Have from a Parasite In My Bloodstream?

The parasites that infect your body through your bloodstream are typically transmitted by insects such as biting flies and mosquitoes. Some of these parasitic infections are more common in South America or Africa, but if you travel to these locations, then you can become infected. The symptoms of a bloodstream parasitic infection include:

 

  • Fever
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Joint pain
  • Excessive perspiration
  • Severe headaches

Ticks also transmit parasites directly into your bloodstream, reducing your body’s immunity levels.

Leave a Reply